05 March, 2012

supersisters

with respect to march being women’s history month i want to start a new post thread honoring a woman worth notice and admiration.
when i was little and just starting to read, my mother enthusiastically encouraged and supported me and she worked especially hard to introduce important women in my reading selections. by the time i was ready to start school, i had already ripped through all the books our public library held devoted to the toddler women’s studies offerings of of hellen keller, amelia earheart and my personal favorite nellie bly.
as years passed and i was left to re-read the same biographies over and over my mother’s frustration grew. she made sure i read "stories for free children" from her Ms. magazine every month, i already memorized "free to be…" where were are all the books about women?
and then she gave me supersister trading cards. from then on i drew from the pack and tracked down as much as i could about each amazing and accomplished woman. my own women’s studies 101 before i even finished montessori!
this week, i want to celebrate the first woman to really inspire my ardent attention and obsession…the amazing nellie bly…
learn a little about Nellie here
what i loved most were the chapters in her biographies when she went undercover in bellevue. i think she may have inspired my career in psychotherapy. an exciting pioneer, she meant the world to me as a little girl and her bravery and achievement deserves more attention that it receives.

*photo from nellieblyonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment